Top 25 Tamil Songs of 2019
2019 was a fantastic year for Tamil music, with both the legends and the relatively new composers scoring on equal fronts. There was a stunning variety of songs across different genres and music styles, giving us a lots to like and relish.
Three composers delivered standout superb albums that ruled playlists for months together, and they are Darbuka Siva with ENPT, GV Prakash with Asuran and Anirudh with Petta. These are the three albums with the maximum shelf life, having songs that were a mixture of what the masses would expect, along with a good load of class. While Darbuka Siva defined the phrase of ‘long-standing music’, GV Prakash rooted his tunes so well that they clicked in all quarters, with Anirudh stamping his class with one of his career-best albums in Petta.
Sam CS was a unique composer of the year, with some very good songs that stood the test of time. His Kannammaa is indeed the most repeat-worthy track of the year, and he had good follow-ups with the same singer (Anirudh) in Kanne Kanne and Apdi Paakadhadi.
Among the others, Imman proved his mettle with two well-packed commercial albums in Viswasam and Namma Veettu Pillai, while Yuvan Shankar Raja had a rather laidback year with only a few shining songs. While Hip Hop Tamizha was alternating between good and bad, Harris has a plain year that he wouldn’t want to remember much. AR Rahman did have space to show his level, but the shots didn’t fire as expected, to say the least. In addition, an impressive composer like Santhosh Narayanan had just one track worth mentioning this year (Kulirudha Pulla), but he does have a lot lined up for 2020.
Adding to the young composers like Vishal Chandrasekhar and Ghibran, I really want to see more of Simon King (Kolaigaran theme was badass), Siddhu Kumar and Tenma – amazing talent which stood up and got noticed this year.
Here is a list of my top 25 songs of 2019, do check it out and see if your favorites make the cut.
- Bloodbath – Asuran – GV Prakash
- Kannammaa – Ispade Rajavum Idhaya Raaniyum – Sam CS
- Visiri – Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta – Darbuka Siva
- Thaarame Thaarame – Kadaram Kondan – Ghibran
- Marana Mass – Petta – Anirudh
- Usure – Sivappu Manjal Pachai – Siddhu Kumar
- En Minikki – Asuran – GV Prakash
- Pularaadha – Dear Comrade – Justin Prabhakaran
- Merkilae – July Kaatril – Joshua Sridhar
- Hi Sonna Pothum – Comali – Hip Hop Tamizha
- Naan Pizhaipeno – Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta – Darbuka Siva
- Marandhadhe – Simba – Vishal Chandrasekhar
- Ilamai Thirumbudhe – Petta – Anirudh
- Maavuliyo Maavuli – Irandam Ulagaporin Kadaisi Gundu – Tenma
- Pasapukkali – Devarattam – Nivas Prasanna
- Kannane Kanne – Viswasam – Imman
- Muni – Magamuni – Thaman
- Thimiranumda – NGK – Yuvan Shankar Raja
- Apdi Paakadhadi – Jada – Sam CS
- Maruvaarthai – Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta – Darbuka Siva
- Sarvam Thaala Mayam – Sarvam Thaala Mayam – AR Rahman
- Siragi Un Siripaala – Mehandi Circus – Sean Roldan
- Red Cardu – Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven – Hip Hop Tamizha
- Dei Machan Dev – Dev – Harris Jayaraj
- Kannale Kannale – Market Raja MBBS – Simon King
Special Mentions – Morattu Single, Gaandakannazhagi, Takkunu Takkunu, Azhagu Azhagu, Yaen Ennai Pirindhaai