Fairly sufficing soundtrack
Puli is quite a sombre album from DSP, belted with some drum-heavy songs which do not pump up the excitement present in his earlier associations with Vijay. Vairamuthu's lyrics and Yaendi Yaendi stand out from this OST which will surely get going with the visuals.
Cast: Ilaya Thalapathy Vijay, Hansika, Shruti Haasan, Sridevi
Music: Devi Sri Prasad
Direction: Chimbu Devan
Label: Sony Music
- Yaendi Yaendi; Singers: Vijay, Shruti Hassan – With lovely strings at the start which traverse into a Raja-ish beat, Yaendi Yaendi is DSP’s most enchanting composition in a long time. Vijay’s charming vocals are undoubtedly the best thing about this beaut of a melody. Yet another winner in the long list of songs crooned by the Ilayathalapathy. Our PICK!
- Sottavaala; Singers: Shankar Mahadevan, MM Manasi – Though Shankar Mahadevan and MM Manasi do sound enthusiastic here, the tune is a heavy drab which does not cash in as required.
- Mannavanae Mannavanae; Singers: Sooraj Santhosh, MLR Karthikeyan, Chinmayi, Anitha – DSP shows us how good he is with the drums, and the host of singers ably support him to churn out a decent song aimed at grandeur. However, you cannot help but experience instances of deja-vu throughout the song.
- Jingiliya; Singers: Javed Ali, Pooja AV – A catchy pipe hook and the energetic rendition of Javed Ali and Pooja AV are the perks of this tribal number which is bent on a trademark DSP beat. There are a few interesting lines in the lyrics which rise the excitement for the visuals. Another PICK
- Puli; Singers: Mano, Priyadarshini – DSP’s kuthu tune fails to sync with the strong lyrics, thereby resulting in an underwhelming number.
- Manidha Manidha; Singers: Tippu – A basic motivational number which has some captivating lyrics by Vairamuthu. Tippu takes this one by the horn and does a palpable job.
Puli Songs Review Rating: 2.75/5
Written By: Siddarth Srinivas